FW: New River CBC, 21 dec. 02

----------
From: James Coman <hillshepherd@skybest.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 08:15:54 -0800
To: Blue Ridge Birders
Cc: <ginger@athena.dev.unc.edu>
Subject: New River CBC, 21 dec. 02

Dear Blue Ridge Birders:

Tentatively, while I await the arrival of the last two reports from field
parties (Cash and Wolfe) which are still AWOL, I can summarize the 2002 New
River CBC as follows:

Only 48 species reported, far below our usual effort, with two more in the
Count Week (Bald Eagle and Evening Grosbeak). This low count is only partly
due to the abominably windy weather of 21 December, but appears to be
accurately reflecting the fact that far fewer birds than normal are
wintering here in the northern mountains of N.C. than usual. Field work
under good to excellent conditions since have shown normally good,
productive cover to be nearly devoid of birds.

The six reporting field parties (10 individuals) and two feeder watchers
consistently reported few berry or fruit eating birds, probably as a result
of the loss of all soft mast due to the late May freeze. Only one
Yellow-Rumped Warbler, one Hermit Thrush, and 3 Robins were found, and only
8 Mockingbirds. Only 2 Phoebes.

Fourteen of the 48 species listed were tallied by only 1 field party: GBH
(2), BV (2), Bobwhite (1), Com. Snipe (1),  Screech Owl (2), Belted
Kingfisher (2), Hairy Woodpecker (2), Hermit Thrush (1), Robin (3), Brown
Creeper (1), House Sparrow (49), Yellow-Rump (1), Fox Sparrow (1), and E.
Meadowlark (8).

Two parties reported single Purple Finches. Only two parties reported single
Towhees. Nobody reported White-Crowned or Swamp Sparrows. No blackbirds of
any kind reported. No waterfowl except Canada Geese and Mallards. No hawks
other than Red-Tails and Kestrels, which is bizarre. NO PIGEONS! NO
YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKERS. Only 14 Blue Jays, but 11 Ravens!

The two best counts were those of Katherine Higgins and of Jack and Betty
Scott. Both were working the New River bottomland in the extreme northern
part of the Count Circle, with excellent cover and the lowest elevations in
the Circle, under 2650 feet elevation.

A full report will follow eventually, pending arrival of the last field
reports by snail mail, carrier pigeon, smoke signal or whatever.

James Coman
Compiler
New River CBC