Masonboro Island on Saturday

On 4 January, Jack Fennell and I walked Masonboro Island (about 10
miles), as part of the Wilmington Christmas Bird Count.

It was brisk, nice for walking.

Highlights were 3 Piping Plovers, 1 Peregrine Falcon, and 1 Merlin (we
also had 1 kestrel, for a very nice ratio of falcons).  We also had 1
Cooper's Hawk and 1 Great Horned Owl, so it was a pretty good day for
raptors considering the skinny sand strand we were on.

3 Ipswich Sparrows were together near the center of the island.

Two strange sights were a Turkey Vulture feeding on a dead gannet, and
an Osprey shuffling one leg in a tidal creek (like it was trying to
catch or retrieve something).

John Fussell
Morehead City, NC
jfuss@clis.com

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses by Cape Lookout Mail Server]