Lake Wateree CBC preliminary totals

The Lake Wateree CBC has at last broken the jinx of bad weather, I think.
Under fairly typical early winter conditions for the Piedmont - a rather
chilly morning and a rose-colored sunrise leading into a crisp day filled
with silver sunshine - the Lake Wateree CBC was conducted on Saturday, 4
January 2003. Five parties worked six territories and a preliminary tally
of 87 species was reported, the highest total of species yet recorded for
the count. Some nice ducks were tallied by the Sawney's Creek party of
Robin Carter, Caroline Eastman and Lloyd Moon including Gadwall, American
Wigeon, and Ruddy Duck. The highlight of the count, Common Goldeneyes that
flew over the lake at sunset for a second or third county record, were tallied by
the Lake Wateree party of Brian Brockhahn. Some interesting overwintering
species were found including Fox Sparrow and Brown Creeper. Year-round
residents found included Blue-headed Vireo, Loggerhead Shrike, and the
half-hardy Gray Catbird. Among the nice birds reported by Lex Glover's
party working in the Lake Wateree State Park territory were Black-and-white
Warbler, Great Horned Owl and Screech Owl.

For my own part, I had fun working two "bird by car" territories with Mac
Sharpe. Though the day found no real unexpected species, we were treated
to nice looks at several less common species. Sunrise at a boat landing
found a Fox Sparrow tossing leaves alongside a White-throated Sparrow. A
stop at small drainage area in mid-morning yielded a nice lengthy look at a
lovely male Common Yellowthroat. A ride through a rather residential area
in Ridgeway in the early afternoon found an oversized female Sharp-shinned
Hawk perched near the top of a sweetgum in someone's yard and began a run
on raptors through the territory that included perched Cooper's Hawk,
perched Red-shouldered Hawks, a pair of courting Red-tailed Hawks circling
in the winter blue sky and American Kestrels in various attitudes including
stooping on and dismantling grasshoppers.

Any day afield is good and CBCs are always a little extra fun!

Donna Slyce Bailey
Lexington, SC

e-mail: dsbailey@conterra.com

Where are the Birds? Migration across South Carolina