Carolina Big Year records?

Hi Carolinabirders,

It's that time of year again: time for American Birding Association
members to send their big day and list reports in! I keep forgetting, so
thought I should say something in case anyone else was doing that too.
Forms, pdfs of last year's report, all kinds of other details at
http://www.americanbirding.org/publications/miscbdlrep.htm
I'm hoping that the 81-species Triangle-only big day Norm Budnitz and I
did in December 2000 will finally get into the records this year, and
erase that embarrassing 56 that Dan Lebbin and I committed a couple of
years before that... (Dan had to quit for class at noon)

Also, Ritch Lilly and I were privately discussing big years. As far as I
know, there is no official record - ABA or otherwise - of this kind of
information. The ABA Big Day and List Report does print annual lists for
each state every year, but does not keep year-to-year records of the
all-time best totals, as far as I can tell. And we were wondering, what
are the top Big Years for North and South Carolina?

Anyone who knows for a fact what the best ever is may as well just post to
the whole list, as it seems like a point of general interest: how many
bird species can you see in either Carolina in a calendar year? Anyone who
isn't sure, but who thinks they have a contender (in either state), can
send their numbers to me privately, and I can post names and numbers to
Carolinabirds in a single list a few days from now. And anyone who has
several back issues of the ABA Big Day and List Report easily accessible
that could compile the numbers from that, or just send me the top few
counts for each state, that might be interesting too...

Good birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose
Duke University