Lake Mattamuskeet

Good morning...
    I spent yesterday morning at Lake Mattamuskeet. On the west side of the
causeway, at the northernmost water crossing were 9 small gulls. Of these, 8
were Bonaparte's, but one, a trifle larger than the others, had a distinctly
red bill. I concluded that it was a Black-headed Gull, which I believe was
reported on several occasions last year at exactly the same location. I
found five immature and one adult Black-crowned Night Herons across the
canal from the lodge and a raft of about 100 Canvasbacks close on the east
side of the causeway.

John Register
Washington NC
register@gotricounty.com