interesting sight

On Saturday afternoon, after a hike on the Duke Forest Trail, my son,
daughter-in-law, and I returned home (northwest Durham). As we
approached my driveway, my son exclaimed, "What is that!?" On the
ice-storm-debris woodpile beside my neighbor's driveway, sat a large
bird. We stopped the car and watched. The bird turned around, sat facing
us, then took off, flying just in front of us. I realized then it was a
Cooper's hawk. Guess it had been waiting for an afternoon snack to come
out of the woodpile.
Nice yard bird for my new 2003 list (which now numbers 24 species).
Carol Williamson
Durham, NC