Kenn Kaufman to kickoff Tenn. celebration

Carolina Birders:

I am sending a forward of a message that will certainly be of interest
to birders in the western parts North Carolina and South Carolina  who
are within a few hours driving time of this weekend event.  Read on and
I hope you can attend.

Let's go birding.....

Wallace Coffey
Bristol, TN

-------------------------------BEGIN FORWARD--------------------

Kaufman and Kingfisher to Kick-off Celebration of Cherokee Heritage and
Wildlife Diversity

The 11th Annual Cherokee Heritage and Sandhill Crane Viewing Weekend
will take place in the community of Birchwood, Tennessee (just north of
Chattanooga)  on February 8 and 9, 2003, but will include an added
attraction.

Kenn Kaufman, widely noted as one of North America's premier birders
and
renowned for his skill as an author and illustrator of birds, will join
Choogie Kingfisher, traditional Kituwah Cherokee storyteller and flute
player of the Cherokee Nation, for an inaugural Friday night fundraiser
kicking off the annual event.

The Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency and the Tennessee
Ornithological
Society are sponsoring this event. Kaufman will provide a special
presentation from his unique experiences with birds and birding
worldwide.

Kingfisher will provide a sample of his life's work, telling "The
stories
that have been passed down to me from my family, elders, and friends.
Creator has also provided (these stories) in dreams that I might heal
from
these stories and pass them on to others that they too might heal
themselves
by hearing the message inside."

Alicia Craig, Senior Manager of Nature Education with Wild Birds
Unlimited,
will also be present on Saturday for a special children's program in
conjunction with the crane-viewing festivities.

Tickets for the Friday night fundraiser to be held at the Chattanooga
Choo-Choo are $15.00.  All proceeds go to conservation and management
of
nongame birds, including the sandhill and whooping cranes that use the
site,
and development of the Cherokee Removal Memorial onsite. More
information on
this event, including directions and how to get tickets can be found at
www.tnwildlife.org or www.tnbirds.org.

Troy Ettel
State Ornithologist
Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency