Wake County Ducks

Ducks and other waterfowl were numerous this weekend in Wake Co., NC. On
Saturday the 18th, Rob Tiller and I visited Brier Creek and Crab Tree in
Wake and Jordan Lake. On Sunday the 19th, I went to Lake Wheeler and Lake
Benson south of Raleigh. Lake Benson had nearly 1000 individual ducks. Does
anyone know of a good spot from which to view the southern edge of Lake
Benson? The only public access I could find was along the northern edge of
the lake. Heat waves and back lighting made identification of the ducks
challenging.

Here are some of the highlights.

Brier Creek (airport ponds):
Greater Scaup, 3

Crab Tree:
Tundra Swan, 1 first winter.
Common Goldeneye, 1 female.
Canvasback, 17.
Northern Pintail, 3.
Blue-winged Teal, 1 female.
Am. Black Duck, 13.
Am. Black Duck x Mallard, 1 male.

Other species were Gadwall, Am. Widgeon, N. Shovler, Green-winged Teal,
Ring-necked Duck, Lesser Scaup, Hooded Merganser and Ruddy Duck. All of
these ducks were found in good numbers. Hooded Merganser was the most
numerous with about 700 individuals between the 5 lakes.

G. Gordon Brown
Cary, North Carolina
ggbrown@rti.org