Why Mattamuskeet when there's Junaluska?

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003, John Lindfors wrote:

> Apparently WNC mountains hold an attraction for exotic waterfowl with
> the sighting yesterday of a  pair of Ross's Geese

Hi Carolinabirders,

There's more up there than waterfowl! I've received confirmation from Don
Hendershot, who no longer subscribes to Carolinabirds (I think he used
to), that at least two Sandhill Cranes have been hanging around Lake
Junaluska (not too far from Asheville) recently. He spotted them last
weekend while we were all NOT seeing Sandhills at Mattamuskeet; they were
not seen for a few days there, then Bob Olthoff found them again
yesterday.

To add intrigue, one of the cranes is banded; a yellow band with the
number 355 on it. Don tracked this down: the bird had apparently been
banded in Patuxent, Maryland, and released in upstate New York at Iriquois
NWR, as part of "Operation Migration"
http://www.operationmigration.org/work_scranes.html

> I am spending a week at the end of February on the outer banks, have
> bought John Fussell's excellent bird finding guide to the area.
> Frankly, I am overwhelmed by the extent of that work.  What areas are a
> must to cover in late February?  I am guessing that Bodie Island, Pea
> Island NWR and the inlets are important.  If you have any suggestions I
> would appreciate getting your input.

I've actually heard that the Outer Banks tend to get pretty quiet by late
February, as the wintering waterfowl have mostly headed north by then and
the shorebirds and landbirds have not started moving yet. If I were doing
a trip then, I might focus more on Alligator River NWR, looking for
raptors of various sorts; and perhaps poke around for passerines that
should have headed south but did not, at Buxton Woods, Nags Head Woods, or
the Mattamuskeet causeway....

Good birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose