exotic plants in suburban woodlots

Interested minds,

At the Charlotte Nature Museum, we have a little 5-acre-or-so woodlot in
which foreign species (exotic holly, privet, English ivy, and Russian olive)
have virtually excluded native ground species and shrubs with the exception
of poison ivy. Due to its small size, this plot is probably of little value
to neotropical migrants as breeding habitat, but otherwise could provide an
important foraging venue, were it not for being choked by exotics.

Speaking of little birds and the museum...today I gave all the live migrant
insectivores (Wood and Gray-cheeked Thrushes, YB Cuckoo, Pine Warbler, and
the very out-of-place Sora Rail) a manicure. For some reason I don't think
they appreciated all the attention they were receiving :)

Eric Harrold
Charlotte, NC