I-40 bird kills--Raleigh

Good afternoon all, just wanted to make your attention known that there seems
to be a pretty massive killing of robins and waxwings along Hwy 1 near the
I-40 interchange in Raleigh...due to the Elaeagnus shrub plantings alongside
the highway.  I live in Wilmington and saw the damage the Elaegnus caused on
Sunday morning when I was traveling south on Hwy 1...dead bird bodies
everywhere.  The number of birds I saw dead were undoubtedly just a fraction
of the total number killed (bird carcasses are not real detectable after they
have been hit a few times).  It seems that state transportation departments
have planted many species of fruit bearing plants in highway and interstate
medians, luring avian frugivores into the path of traffic.

Here is a site to obtain a little more info:

www.defenders.org/habitat/highways/new/sub/library/highwaymedian.pdf

If you wish to learn more and want a pdf copy of any of the reports from the
Center for Conservation Biology at the College of William and Mary emailed to
you please contact Bart Paxton:  bjpaxt@wm.edu

Thank you for your attention and have a nice day.

--Deniz Aygen
Wilmington, NC