Henderson County Update

Folks,
    This AM, I had what I believe to be a record number of Lapland Longspurs
for the Carolinas.  I was heading to Lake Julian in Buncombe County via
Hooper Lane when a large flock of Horned Larks flew low over the road and
landed in a tilled field.  The birds were foraging on a dark, flat, wet area
of soil.  I put my scope on the window mount and viewed the flock for about
15 minutes. I was able to see the flock real well since the ground was flat
and the birds were pretty much in the open.  I counted the Longspurs in the
flock three times and came up with 28 Lapland Longspurs, definately a
mountain record and I would think a record for the Carolinas as well.
Normally, viewing these birds can be difficult, since they get down in the
furrows and scurry around, this was a pleasant change!
Best regards,
Wayne
Wayne K. Forsythe
Hendersonville, N. C. 28791