Goldfinches feeding on ground

Went home for lunch today and saw several gold finches
feeding on the ground. They were feeding on a pile of
niger seed that had been spilled  a couple days ago
(darn squirrels). The ground feeding finches were
females--the males were happily pigging out on the
feeder just above. I don't recall seeing this behavior
before, having never put niger out on the ground.
Well, anyway, I was pleased to see the females were
getting a chance to feed before the bad weather sets
in (again). Thought it was interesting enough to pass
along...

Bobbie Collins-Perry
Durham, NC

=====