An interesting Saturday

I set out early this morning to look for sparrows in Cumberland County east of the Cape Fear River. I started at Rhodes Pond, continued to Old Bluff Church, and then spent some time on River Road below Wade. I did turn up seven species of sparrows, so I was successful in that effort. I also saw a kestrel with a vole, a hermit thrush, and several red-tailed hawks. I heard several times what I thought was a red-shouldered hawk, but I was never close enough to it for a positive identification. As I drove down the lane to Old Bluff Church, several non-descript brown jobs flew from one field to the other and then settled down. I stopped to check and found one, possibly two, horned larks. The second one never gave me a really good look. The same field had robins, killdeer, and meadowlarks. I checked the field later in the day, finding only robins and blackbirds.
The fun continued here at home during the afternoon. A first year sharp-shinned sat on the fence at the back of my yard for about ten minutes. It then swooped around the bushes, apparently trying to flush a bird, and finally left for other hunting grounds.

Bob
Robert C. Perkins, Ph.D.
Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
Methodist College, Fayetteville, NC 28311
910-630-7037     rperkins@methodist.edu