whip-poor-will

While chris and I were leading a hike at Bald Head
Island this Sunday, allison Sill, the BH Conservancy
educator of the island, found a dead whip-poor-will
alongside the trail.
It wasn't dead long, but did have a few ants on it. It
was truly beautiful, and I think might be pretty rare
for this far north.  Allison also said she had seen
common nighthawks calling and flying. Is that
possible?
On Saturday we got some long wonderful looks at a
snipe digging and finding some long earthworms.
Also great long looks at a perching Merlin and orange
crowned warbler! Fun winter birding.
Kate

=====
Kate Finlayson