Re: Problems with the Great Backyard Bird Count

i think that everyone can learn from your experience.
wherever you are counting
if you locate a bird that is not on the checklist,
take thorough field notes.
and if possible,
get another person to observe the bird.
a photo would be an excellent addition...

in 2002,
my write in response was followed up promptly (in less than 8 hours)
by andrew farnsworth.
after submitting documentation
in the form of transcribed field notes and digital photos,
my species was added to the write in tally for that year.
i also reviewed the checklist for 2003 and
noted that it has been added (it is also on audubon's watchlist).

data collect during the gbbc is combined with
christmas bird count and project feeder watch data,
providing everyone with a picture of our winter birds.
every year that data is collected
makes observations more meaningful.
patterns are discover,
questions are asked
and new insights are made.
i am guessing that,
it is for these reasons,
the eurasian collered dove
has been added to the south carolina 2003 checklist.

every one,
including the birds, can benefit from this event.
please encourage your friends and neighbors
to participate in this years count.
and remember,
have fun.

deb barreiro