Dark morph western red-tail

Birders,
Yesterday 2-13 I was able to leisurely study an apparent dark-morph
red-tailed hawk just south of Westinghouse Blvd. on I-77. The bird was
totally dark brown except for a solid reddish chestnut tail with faint dark
horizontal markings. The legs and feet were bright yellow. Quite a striking
bird. Interested persons should check the open field a mile or so south of
Westinghouse Blvd. on the west side of the interstate. There is a wide
pull-out at this location.

Taylor Piephoff
Charlotte, NC
PiephoffT@aol.com