From: GRACKLER@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 11:48:05 EST
Subject: Western Tanager & Eur. Collared-Dove
To: carolinabirds@duke.edu

Congratulations to Shirley Hales for photographing and publishing the
photo=20
of the male Western Tanager in Summerville on 30 January 2003. Unless someon=
e=20
has other information, this would be the first documentation of the
species=20
in SC. I have heard of other photos being taken, but I don't believe they=20
have been published or archived anywhere. The specimen that Evelyn Dabbs=20
picked up at a TV tower in Sumter Co. in the 70's was misplaced.=20
=A0=A0=A0=A0The Eurasian Collared-Doves' SC status should be revised to "com=
mon on=20
the coast." We banded 320 during September-December 2002 at one feeding=20
station on Sullivan's Island. About 75% of them were hatch-year,
presumably=20
local, birds.
Will Post
Charleston Museum,