From: Fuller
To: carolinabirds@duke.edu
Sent: 2/18/03 11:33 PM
Subject: possible magpie in Jones Co, NC?

I received a phone call the other day from a high school science teacher
that lives in Jones County--near Trenton, NC.  He called to tell me
about
a strange bird that he had at his feeders about two weeks before (this
would
have been right after the snow).

He descibed the bird as a large black bird that had a very long tail.
He
also
said the bird had a lot of white on his sides and belly!  The bird hung
around
his feeders for only a couple of minutes before a crow dived on him and
ran
him
off.  The bird flew to some pines on the edge of the field behind his
house
and
sat for a few minutes then moved on. He hasn't seen it since.  He lives
on a
farm
and has a lot of open country surrounding his house.

He said the bird matched the magpie in his bird book.  I'm going to get
over
and
check the fields around his farm in the next day or so and will
obviously
report if I
discover anything, but thought others around the state might just keep
an
eye out
for any extra large "black birds".

Cheers-