Re: GBBC and Statistics

My last word on the subject:

I think the topic of how much we can believe the
results (and studies based on them) of the bird counts
in the Carolinas is on-topic for this list.  Sorry if
it's bad news that you hear-no-evil types don't like.

I wouldn't have made yesterday's lengthy post if I
hadn't needed to defend myself against an incorrect
accusation (based on emotion, not math or science).
My first post was a reaction at reporters, websites
(not GBBC's), online forums, etc. increasingly making
a mountain out of a statistical molehill.

Also: In my first post, I praised the counts for
motivating/educating folks, remember?

Nathan Dias - Charleston, SC

PS Dave: Field biologists do just fine with some
surveys/studies (Breeding Bird Atlas, USFWS surveys,
studes by folks like Point Reyes Bird Observatory,
etc).  -- PRBO goes to great pains to have
statistically valid data and they raise and train
their own army of volunteers, interns, etc.  While I
am not a field biologist, I have participated in many
projects run by them and I understand the temptation
to use low-cost  (yet spurious) results from untrained
citizen armies.