Woodcocks at Sparta Bog

I checked out the Woodcocks at Sparta Bog this evening.

Sparta Bog is wetlands mitigation property owned by DOT located about two
miles south of Sparta, NC.  I discovered the Woodcocks two winters ago and
they have been very reliable, under good weather conditions, for putting on
a good show.

It wasn't the best I've seen, but the Woodcocks put on a pretty good show in
spite of the rainy weather, low ceiling and fog.  Peenting started early
because of the subdued light and possibly because the weather was warm and
damp.  There was a light drizzle for the evening but it wasn't
uncomfortable.  The foggy conditions did have an impact.  The Woodcocks
displayed frequently and often but all flights seemed to be abbreviated.   I
didn't see any birds except ones that came very close, but the vocalizations
didn't last very long.  So my theory, in the dark, is that they flew up as
high as possible, probably less than 100 feet and then fluttered back down.
Thus the abbreviated vocalizations.  Evidently Woodcocks have not been
approved for IFR (instrument flight rules).  The show was still pretty good
with an estimated 8 to 12 Woodcocks displaying and vocalizing.   I had one
bird peenting within about 30 feet and a flyby within about 10 feet.  I
ended up staying about 40 minutes, from 6:00 p.m. to 6:40.  There was still
a lot of activity going on when I left.  A thoroughly enjoyable night.  As a
bonus, there were two Great horned owls hooting.

Harrol Blevins
NC/VA border on the New River
kestrel@valink.com