RE: An idea for learning to bird by ear

> It was a fair amount of work to do all this,
> but now I have some really good tapes.
 ~ John Argentati

> Unfortunately, many
> birders these days take up birding in their thirties rather
> than their teens, and have already lost the desire to go
> crashing into the woods after an unknown chip note.
 ~ John Wright

"There ain't no free lunch!"
 ~ Tomm Lorenzin, et al.

Listening to tapes and CDs over and over again helps.  It really does.  Even
listening to the non-local birds' sounds. E.g... I recall being at Merritt
Island N.W.R several years ago in the pouring rain.  I could see poorly
rafts of ducks that I could hear clearly.  By sound, they were American
Wigeons (then a new species to me).  I wouldn't have known that if I hadn't
heard them several hundred times on tape. The same for those lifers.  Just
last week, I heard but could not see my first Black-billed Cuckoo (nr
Brooksville, FL).  I didn't know, at first, what I was hearing.  I only knew
that I had heard it before (on tape).  As I thought about it for a while, my
tardy recall settled upon BBCU, and I confirmed it later in the day by
finding it and playing it on CD.

That, to me, is the real value of listening to CDs and tapes repeatedly: the
fact that you can say "I have heard that sound" even if you cannot
immediately identify its maker.  Being familiar with the sounds birds make
facilitates "holding onto" the sound mentally until it can be ascribed to a
certain bird.

Also, has anyone else heard Leith's CD "Who Cooks for Poor Sam Peabody: A
Bird Song Ear Training Guide" ? http://www.caculo.com/birdsongs.htm
Particularly well-done, IMHO. (I have no commercial interest in this.)
Another good resource on the subject.

Cheers!
Tomm "sings for his succor" Lorenzin
Mooresville (Lake Norman), NC
skytomm(at)1000plus.com

Poetry is the Music     Music is the Poetry
        of the mind            of the heart

visit me @ http://www.1000plus.com/BirdSong/