Re: Mockingbird Behavior, signs of spring

I have also seen the beautiful ritual courtship dance of the Yellow-Shafted
Flickers, and have never forgotten that day.  Carol W. described it well.
They did seem to dance in unison, and did jumps, tail spreads, hops, etc.
It seemed to last for quite a while, and I stayed for the entire
performance.

About the only unusual thing going on in my yard this winter has been a
Hairy Woodpecker coming to my suet log.  Hairy Woodpeckers are not common in
this area to my knowledge, ( I surely can't seem to locate one on the
Christmas count when I need one).  What is so interesting  is when a Downy
shows up and sits about 12 inches away, waiting his turn at the suet log.
You can really tell the size difference then.

We have also had about five Baltimore Orioles coming to the feeders,
especially to the grape jelly my husband puts out for them.  It goes so
quickly, he now has to put out three bowls of it.  The Mockinngbird, Robins
and a few others like it too.

Our resident Mocker is trying to patrol the entire yard, including the
feeding stations, and must wear himself out flying from one to another.  He
is just being a Mockingbird, trying to control his territory.  About the
only bird that he does not intimidate is the Red-Bellied Woodpecker.

Joanne Harley
New Bern,NC
harleyclan@coastalnet.com