romancing an owl: part II

I must tell how delighted I was to learn something new by a first-hand,
personal experience today. There is at least one vertebrate species on the
planet in which females demonstrate the ability to be consistent,
predictable, and don't seem to soon forget the good deeds performed by a
dependable male :)...

This evening I was hiking in a remote section (ha!) of Mecklenburg County
where last year about this time I had provisioned a female Barred Owl with
mice. This bird was very reliable and returned each evening in expectation
of her mice, many of which she cached in various locations on trees. On a
couple of occasions she didn't eat a single mouse, but chose to store them
all. After her capture and transmitter attachment, I no longer provisioned
her. On a couple of occasions I greeted her at the nest cavity, but didn't
offer any free cuisine. Well, as we know, spring became summer which became
fall and before you know it, a whole year has passed since the subject bird
and I last had an intimate experience.

As I strolled along through the stream-bottom just downhill from last year's
nest location by a few hundred meters, I faintly heard a soft, low series of
"eeewwuup", with each note separated by about 30 seconds. I didn't
immediately recognize the call, but later remembered having previously heard
it. After only a few calls, I located the owl, perched less than 10 meters
off the ground over a moist seepy area. She plunged down into the leaf
litter, but failed to emerge with anything. As long as I stood there
however, she would occasionally glance at me and emit the previously
described low call. I returned an imitation of her call to which she
seemingly paid little attention. Then I offered her a couple of whistles
that I used last year and she immediately swiveled her head in my direction.
I continued along the path as it began its uphill course. After I had moved
about 50 meters from the owl, once again I gave the whistle associated with
free mice. Within 10 seconds, the owl flew to within 20 meters or so.

In spite of the time passed, change in my physical appearance (yep, the
pony-tail is gone), and the unusual lack of some article of Wolfpack red
clothing...she remembered. How refreshing!

Eric Harrold
Charlotte, NC