Henderson County, NC birds

I had to go to a meeting this morning at Mills River, so had a little time to
knock around first.  It was a very pleasant morning with the first sunshine
I've seen in a while.  Stopped by the Mills River water treatment plant and
saw a couple of Snow Geese (one white, one blue-phase) mixed in with some
Canadas.  Then stopped by the VanWingerden field to check for the N.
Sharp-tailed Sparrow.  A few folks from the Greenville, SC bird club were
there and they said they all saw the bird.  It was sitting up in the usual
bush.  Early morning sun is a good time to see it as the sparrows seem to like
to bask in the sun a little early in the morning.  Then went up to my meeting
and ran across a flock of about 70 Wild Turkeys in a large field about a
stones throw from North Mills River Rd about 1/2 mile before you get into the
forest.  Quite a pleasant morning all-in-all.  I even saw a herd of about 10
or 12 deer coming out of the forest and walking down to the river as I was
sitting in the meeting and happened to look out the window.
Marilyn

Marilyn Westphal
Environmental Quality Institute
University of North Carolina-Asheville