more Eurasian Kestrel details

Howdy folks,

out:

1. The Eurasian Kestrel that was seen in Massachusetts back in April was
definitely not banded, and so presumably not an escaped falconer's bird.

2. The MA bird was a male, while the one in FL is a female. So they're not
the same bird (unless something really funny's going on with all those
hormone-mimicking chemicals in the water down there at Lake Apopka)

3. The original discoverer of the bird is Harry Robinson. For those who
haven't heard of him, open your Birder's Guide to Florida to the section
about Turtle Mound.

4. For anyone who's considering a chase of this bird, the meeting time to
enter the area and look has been changed for tomorrow, to 8:30 AM instead
of 9. So, let's see, if we leave Durham at 10:30 PM...

No response from Florida yet about whether or not their bird is banded, or
even if it was seen again today. I'll post when I know more.

Josh

Joshua S. Rose
Duke University
Department of Biology (Zoology, R.I.P.)