cool winter yard bird, etc.

hi y'all,

i stayed around the confines here most of this dreary day and watched the
nearly constant parade of Aves as they diligently went about their work of
emptying my bank account (no "higher math" needed to support that
assertion.) maybe we should have a hunting season for Common Grackle. they'd
prolly taste ok in some sorta gumbo, if you threw enough okra in...maybe add
some bush-tailed tree rats. mmmmmm....

anyway, a winter plumaged Cape May Warbler nervously attacked the suet here
this afternoon. it would grab a bite then dart up into that ol' worthless,
invasive English Ivy where all the other little guys hang out. young mr.
oriole continues to avail himself of the hummer feeders, the orange slices
having been completely ignored (i'm beginning to think that's a myth
perpetuated by folks who own stock in citrus growers.) another few days and
the oranges will be ready to add to some trail mix.

a ton (well ok, maybe only 1500 lbs or so) of Chippies, White-throats,
Juncos and goldfinches, 4 woodpecker spp., both kinglets, Pine warblers,
Yellow-rumpeds, Hermit Thrush, Brown Thrasher, waxwings, robins bathing in a
birdbath during a pouring rain, a Loggerhead Shrike in the neighbor's front
yard with an earthworm (desperate times call for desperate measures, i
s'pose) a pair of bluebirds that never nest here, Fish crows being harassed
by Blue jays, enough cardinals to elect a pope...an even 30 spp. total. not
too bad for a dinky little yard.

oh yeah, two observers in south Louisiana reported freshly plumaged
glittering fragments of the rainbow on Feb. 23.  the Ruby-throateds that
could afford the trip to the tropics last fall are on their way back, y'all.

if you feed them they will come...

;-)

gary phillips
conway, sc
sunset zone 31

"...where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment
of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with
reverence..." (J.J. Audubon)