Re: Missing spotting scope FOUND!!!

All,

I want to give a big THANK YOU to both Greg Dodge and Mike Swaim for
helping locate and return my lost scope.  I'm the one who left it at
Oregon Inlet and it was gone when I returned.  Fortunately, it was picked
up by Greg and I should have it back soon.

I tried posting twice to Carolinabirds by my AOL connection was sending
the emails in a format that the mailserve couldn't read.  Hope it works
this time.

Again - thanks to both Mike and Greg.  My original posting is below.

Carolinabirders,

Unfortunately, I'm the guy that Mike Swaim was referring to in his
posting.  On my weekend at the coast, I had my scope stolen at the Fishing
Center at Oregon Inlet.  What happened was a bit different than what Mike
wrote.  I was at the Fishing Center at Oregon Inlet looking for the R-n
Grebe.   No luck.  I got a call on my cell phone and when I hung up, I got
in my car and drove to Pea Island, forgetting to put my scope back in the
car.  When I got to Pea Island, I saw it was missing, swore a few times,
and drove straight back - I couldn't have been gone for more than 20
minutes at the most.   Unbelievable.  I left my name and number at Pea
Island, Bodie Island and the store there at the Fishing Center.  I bet I
could do this 100 times and I'd get the scope back 99.  I'm still shocked.
 I'm so paranoid about this normally.   From 6:30am - 9:30am, I scoped the
ocean for alcids - again with no luck.  Each time, I would lock my car
even though I was normally about 20 feet away!

In any event, since I spent an abundance of time at the Fishing Center
asking folks if they had seen anything and just waiting in case someone
returned the scope, I did get to see the R-n Grebe (LIFER!).  It was in
the marina, probably where it had been all day.   I missed it earlier
because I was looking out into the sound.  He was so close that I got some
pretty good pictures.  In contrast to those who saw him on Sunday, he
looked healthy and was diving constantly.  He's definitely coming into
breeding plumage.

Oh yeah - I also got the Black-headed Grosbeak.  Other good birds were
Peregrine and Purple Sandpipers (Oregon Inlet).  After spending so much
time looking over the ocean and then losing the scope, I really didn't
bird that much at the main spots!

Pretty expensive weekend for a lifer.  Guess it's time to call the
insurance company...

Good birding,
Rob Van Epps
Charlotte, NC