Re: vacation!

Marcie,

Let me run down your wish list of things to see. I will limit myself to the
birds. I do not even know of the Lost Kamelia.

1. Clapper Rail -- this is a common permanent resident of salt and brackish
marshes all along the coast. You should have no trouble hearing many of
these birds. WIth luck you may spot one or two. Try along the Salt Marsh
Trail at Hunting Island, or at Port Royal. This one is easy.

2. King Rail -- very similar to Clapper Rail (may be the same species). King
Rails are partial to fresh marshes. Try a Bear Island or Savannah NWR. This
one is a lot tougher than the Clapper Rail, since we do not have that many
fresh water marshes.

3. Wilson's Plover -- this one is tough. Your best bets are at Huntington
Beach State Park or at Moore's Landing, Cape Romain NWR in Charleston CO.,
(Delorme p. 56, H-4, where it is labeled "Bull Island Ferry". This species
may not have returned by the time of your visit.

4. Long-billed Curlew. Very rare. Possible at Cape Romain NWR. Go to Texas
for this one (or Saskatchewan?).

5. Gull-billed Tern. Uncommon over salt marshes. You may be a bit too early
for this species. Possible over any salt marsh.

6. Royal Tern. Fairly common anywhere along the coast. This one is easy.

7. Sandwich Tern -- uncommon along the coast. Your may be too early.

8. Least Tern -- fairly common along the coast, but you will probably not
see one, since you will be too early.

9. Common Ground-Dove. Uncommon to rare. You might find this species along
the coast or inland. Try at the Orangeburg sod farms (Delorme p. 45, G-1),
the nature center at Huntington Beach State Park, or ask around. There are a
few on Harbor Island, next to Hunting Island State Park. You might need to
get to know a resident of this gated community in order to get a pass to get
on the island. There are also a few near the Webb Wildlife Center. A
declining species. Much more common in Florida or Texas.

10. Sooty Tern. Very rare. Do not count on this one.

11. Black Skimmer. Common. You should see several of these along the coast.
Can be common at the Port Royal Boarwalk Park or at Hunting Island.

12. Rufous Hummingbird. You need a stateout for this one. Ask Gary Philllips
(walela@sccoast.net)

13. Red-cockaded Woodpecker. Hard to find anywhere near Beaufort County.
Most easily found in the Francis Marion NF or at the Santee Coastal Reserve
in Charleston County. Your best bet is to try at Carolina Sandhills National
Wildlife Refuge on your way home. Possible at the Webb Wildlife Center, but
easily missed there (Delorme p. 61, G-10).

14. Carolina Chickadee -- very common and easy to find. About like finding a
Black-capped Chickadee in southern Ontario. This is the only chickadee
species present in South Carolina (though we do also have lots of Tufted
Titmouses).

15. Brown-headed Nuthatch. Fairly common whereever there are mature pines.
Probably more common than White-breasted Nuthatches. Easy at Carolina
Sandhills NWR and many other places.

Good birding!

Robin Carter
Columbia, SC