Re: Eurasian Kestrel & Orlando area birds

Am I right that any Eurasian kestrel on the East coast must be
assumed to have crossed the Atlantic, rather than coming across
North America from Alaska?

If so, presumably they would have been swept across in the far
north, say from the UK to Newfoundland.  Seems strange that one
would find its way down to Florida, given that the kestrels in
NW Europe do not migrate.  You'd think it would stay put
relatively close to where it hit land on the eastern seabord -
maybe moving a bit south for some milder weather and searching
for an open niche to occupy. But not going all the way to
Florida.

Any other Eurasian kestrels sited in Florida in the past?

Charles Hoots
Paris, France
(originally from Winston-Salem, NC)
PS. Just joined your group and really enjoy keeping up on the
birds back home, especially with spring coming on fast.