whip-poor-will at Congaree Swamp NM, SC

Hi C-Birders,

I went down to Congaree Swamp National Monument this afternoon after work to
try out my new binaural microphones. I got a nice recording of a spring
peeper chorus and also hear my first whip-poor-will of the spring. (I did
not get a recording of the whip-poor-will). The early date for this species
in my database for the park is 4 April, so it is an early record, but this
is not too unusual, since whip-poor-wills are usually calling somewhere in
the Columbia area by mid March. When I was going up on a farm in Virginia
folks used to say that you should plant corn when you hear the
whip-poor-will for the first time. Spring is upon us!

Robin Carter
Columbia, SC
rcarter@sc.rr.com