Santee Coastal, et al

hi y'all,
dreary and overcast this a.m., Santee Coastal Reserve wasn't exactly a
hotspot. of interest were a number of adult Wood Stork, Glossy Ibis, ad. and
imm. White Ibis, Great Blue, Little Blue and Tricolored herons, Great and
Snowy egrets, a flock of coots (the first I've seen this winter,) the
largest flock of Yellow-rumps I've seen in a cpl of years, and a few hundred
Tree swallows (due no doubt to the swarms of bugs including lotsa
'skeeters.) very few ducks, but scaup sp., N. Shoveler, a few Ring-necks,
Mottled, one Am. Black, numerous Pied-billed Grebe. A cpl of marsh wrens,
one of which appeared to be a "Worthington's." the most interesting bird was
what appeared to be an ad. Golden Eagle that flushed from a tree along the
road leading to the impoundments.
an ad. Bald Eagle cruised through the managed Longleaf near the entrance as
we were leaving.
rain precluded checking the marsh boardwalk.

a stop at Bucksport's sod farms on the way home yielded 30+ Black-bellied
Plover (all had black axillaries,) 15 Semi-pal Plover, a few Am. Pipit and
20 Wild Turkey, and a curious water treatment plant employee who wanted to
know why someone was parked on the roadside in the rain looking across the
grass. some people just don't get it (he did think the turkeys were cool,
though.)

yesterday, one Purple Martin near the bridges on Hwy 17 at Georgetown.

cheers,
gary

gary phillips
conway, sc
sunset zone 31

"...where is the person, I ask, who, on observing this glittering fragment
of the rainbow, would not pause, admire, and turn his mind with
reverence..." (J.J. Audubon)