Frigatebird.... Go ahead and laugh!

Hey Carolinabirders,

I've been reluctant to post this for the past two hours, but there was an
adult female Magnificent Frigatebird seen just north of the Springmaid Pier
in Myrtle Beach, SC at around 3:00 pm this afternoon.  My wife and I were
eating at Damon's (on the beach).  She was watching surfers while I was
checking out the gulls and terns.  The frigatebird came out of the south and
flew just outside the window heading north.  Although this was a first for
me, I'm certain of the ID.  I immediately noticed the black head, the heavy,
light-grey hooked bill and the obvious white breast.  The distinction
between the head and breast were sharp and crisp unlike the muted blending
of color on an immature cormorant.  The wings were extremely long and
graceful unlike the shorter, stubbier wings of the cormorants.  I didn't
specifically look at the tail but my immediate impression was that this bird
had very long legs.  Once the bird passed over and I realized it was a
frigatebird, I then also realized that I hadn't seen legs but rather the
long, closed, forked tail.

I realize this bird will occasionally pass through our area in June or July
and again later in the fall.  I don't have a clue if there are any records
of the bird in our immediate area in mid-March, but I'm confident of the ID.
I first thought about any effect these winds may have had on this bird's
route.  I know several birders on the Outer Banks are seeing some great
birds this weekend, not to mention Mike Turner's Razorbill and jaeger just
south of here yesterday.  But I would have thought that southeast winds
would have been more likely to bring in a frigatebird than northeasterly
winds.

Any explanations for the presence of this bird would be greatly appreciated.
It has me stumped.

Good Birding!
Ritch Lilly
Myrtle Beach, SC