A Hawk from a Handsaw

Rob and Helmut are correct.  The quote is from Hamlet, Act II, Scene II,
Hamlet speaking to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern about his "uncle-father and
aunt-mother" when he said "I am but mad north-northwest when the wind is
southerly I know a hawk from a handsaw."

I didn't know about the "handsaw" being an old term for a heron.  That makes
sense.  I first heard this expression in a birding sense on the videotape "The
Birding Game."  I bought this tape for my birding brother about ten years ago
and have never seen it since until recently when I found someone else who had
it who also purchased it about ten years ago.  Has anyone seen it sold
anywhere more recently?  It's quite a lot of fun.
Marilyn

Marilyn Westphal
Environmental Quality Institute
University of North Carolina-Asheville