Finally! North Carolina's first Allen's Hummingbird

(*note: to those of you that headed out to the Outer Banks this weekend I
wish I could have conveyed this earlier but unfortunately it did not work
out...)

Dear All,

I banded North Carolina's first Allen's Hummingbird last Tuesday morning at
the home of Mickey and Elayne Kodroff in Manteo (Dare Co.).  It is an
immature male in heavy molt and as mean as the dickens.  Bob Sargent
confirmed my suspicions yesterday. Also Elayne informed me that the little
fella was still present this weekend.  Of course that could change at any
time.

He has a nice green back and fresh adult tail feathers but only a few
red feathers in his gorget. This hummer showed up about a week before the
huge snow storm and frigid temperatures that hit the Banks back in late
January.  Up until the storm he spent a lot of time defending his feeder
against numerous Ruby-throats.  Now he seems to have the yard pretty much to
himself although a young male Ruby-throat has been spotted occasionally
using a feeder in the front.

The Kodroffs, who are members of the North Banks Bird Club are welcoming
visitors.  Their home is tucked back off Holly Hills Lane (#130)  in the
Mothers Vineyard section of Manteo.  The bird is only using the feeder on
the back side of the house so arrangements need to be made to view the bird
ahead of time.  Interested birders may contact Elayne at (252) 473-2943 or
me for directions.  Elayne and Mickey have had numerous (yes, that is
correct!) wintering Ruby-throats since moving into this house a few years
ago.  I figured it would not be long before another species would turn up
there.  Needless to say, they are thrilled--and so am I!!

I will send some photos to Russ Tyndall today for posting on the CBC web
site.  One of us will let you know when they are available.

In addition, I will be posting a season summary of winter hummers across the
state soon so stay tuned.  It has been a fantastic year for winter hummers
in NC.  Many thanks to all the birders and hummer enthusiasts who have sent
me reports over the last six months.  I am eternally grateful.  Without your
involvement, my work would not be possible.

Susan Campbell
Research Affiliate, NC Museum of Natural Sciences
Whispering Pines, NC
(910) 949-3207