Sibley's "split" Eastern and Western guides

Folks:
	As a reviewer of range maps for Sibley's bird guide published in 2000,
I was sent copies (received yesterday) of the new 2003 "Sibley Field
Guide to Birds of Eastern North America" and "Sibley Field Guide to
Birds of Western North America".

These are the pocket-sized (i.e., Nat. Geo, Peterson, Kaufman) guides
that have the material from the big book divided into the smaller
format. There are now generally 2 species per page, but top and bottom,
not in slender vertical columns. The text is rewritten more like the NG
or Kaufman guide, in a prose style, not clipped in lots of places as in
the big book.

The problem here is simple. If you already have the big book, which
covers all of North America, I don't see a need to get either one of
these. But -- for folks that don't have the big book yet (probably very
few of you readers), I certainly recommend these books. Each has the
same drawings, range map (slightly changes from the big book), etc. But
-- also remember that the NG guide and the Kaufman guide are
pocket-sized and manage to cover ALL of North America. So -- these two
books can really ONLY be compared with the Peterson guides, which cover
East and West.

Also, I think most folks these days take field guides with them on trips
(certainly on weekend trips) but leave the books in the car. How many of
us REALLY take field guides in our pockets or backpacks? I don't want to
beat up my books that way. Thus, go for the main "big" Sibley guide that
covers all of North America, and take it with you on birding trips,
leaving it in the car for reference.

These two Eastern and Western guides are excellent, but for most of us,
a little bit too late (already a saturated market, and after the big
book covering all of North America has been out).
--
Harry LeGrand
NC Natural Heritage Program