Painted Bunting in Durham

Yesterday a coworker asked me what kind of bird has blue and green feathers.
"Why", I asked. "I found a dead bird at my front door that looked like
that",she responded.  I asked if there were any other colors present.  She
answered, "Yes, red."
I asked her to bring me this bird if she could get up the courage to pick it
up. The bird was gone when she went back (probably taken by a cat).  I
showed her my Kaufman's guide turned to the bunting page.  She immediately
pointed to the painted bunting and said ,"That's it".
As yesterday was April fools Day I made sure it wasn't a joke.  She doesn't
joke about dead things.
I trust her eye for detail but I still would have liked to have gotten a
look for myself.

Edith Tatum
Durham, NC