Phoebe Nest Questions

I have enjoyed reading the posts on carolinabirds for quite awhile, but this
is my first time to post, so please bear with me. I have a pair of phoebes
attempting to build a nest atop the light fixture on our front porch. The
whole affair has been quite haphazard to behold, and quite messy-with moss,
mud, etc. strewn about, but not much of a nest to look at in spite of all
their efforts! I'm enjoying watching these phoebes' nesting habits at our
home, and have witnessed similar strange nestbuilding efforts by a pair of
robins at my parents ( The robins seem never to have built a successful nest
in the oak tree that summer, though they kept at it admirably!). I would
like to know if there is a percentage of first-time nestbuilders that do not
successfully build. I also wondered if anyone knows the expected finished
size of a phoebe nest-just in case they eventually succeed! The top of the
light fixture is small (maybe 8-10 inches across, with a chain in the
center), so they really don't have much of a platform. Thanks for any
information you may be able to share! And thanks for the great information
everyone so freely shares!
Shelia Welch @ dwelch@Hisnet.org
Campobello, SC (between Spartanburg and Landrum, in the area of Hogback
Mountain)