Santee Coastal Reserve on 4-4-03

Hi C'birders,
This morning Paul Rogers, Bob Maxwell and I went to the Santee Coastal
Reserve, Charleston Couonty, SC.
On a pleasant though windy day with few mosquitoes and no biting flies
we had 39 species and found 4 birds for our SC year list.  We travelled
the entrance road and the path to the boardwalk and made the left onto
the road back to the maintenance area.  There was lots of water in the
marsh near the maintenance area and so no shorebirds or egrets/herons.
All told 39 species of birds and about 6 species of butterflies.

Anhinga-15 all overhead
Great Blue Heron-1
Great Egret-1
Wood Stork-40 one flock of 35 overhead
Wood Duck-4
Turkey Vulture-2
Black Vulture-5
N. Harrier-1
Osprey-2or 3
Tern sp. flew overhead I'm inclined to think Sandwich but can't be sure
Mourning Dove-3
Yellow-billed Cuckoo-1
Great Horned Owl-1 heard Am Crows mobbing something and found the Owl on
a large Pine limb
Pileated Woodpecker-2
Red-bellied Woodpecker-1
Tree Swallow-a few overhead
Am. Crow-5
Fish Crow-1 heard only
Carolina Chickadee-1 singing only
Tufted Titmouse-3 singing only
White-breasted Nuthatch-1
Brown-headed Nuthatch-1 heard only
Carolina Wren-1
Brown Thrasher-2
E. Bluebird-10
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher-numerous, singing
White-eyed Vireo-1 singing only
Prothonotary Warbler-1 heard singing only
Yellow-rumped Warbler-4
Yellow-throated Warbler-10 singing
Pine Warbler-2 heard singing only
Waterthrush sp. heard only