Waterscaping Suggestions

All--

I had several requests to share the suggestions I received so here they are.

Regards,

Randy Dunson
Hillsborough  NC

"One thing to consider is that the birds may be likely to drink and bathe
in the stream/waterfall part of the apparatus, not in the main pool. So
perches around the pool itself might be less important than a place with
spray over rocks, or a shallow trickle/riffle area above the waterfall."

"Avian Aquatics has some wonderful bird-water gardens; I just ordered their
mini-water pond - it's only a few inches deep (you add rocks, etc.)  It
comes complete with pump, waterfall rocks and very good directions,  plus a
list of recommended water plants.  I thought the price was resonable, also.
These are specifically made for birds, so they are very shallow.

www.avianaquatics.com is their website."

"You could add a few falt rocks (or even bricks along one edge to provide a
shallow area for the smaller birds, and deeper areas for larger birds (up to
herons, if big enough :-) ). I have done this in the past, and it works
well. The bricks developed a coating of mosses in a few weeks, and looked
quite natural."

"...but the owners of the house we currently live in, put in a small 500
gallon pond.  I laid a long piece of barkless wood from a tree branch across
it (more like a piece of drift wood), and one end is in the water, and the
other
is not.  The robins really dig it, and I have seen other small birds use
it."

"...what I have noticed is if you are able to incorporate a stream into the
waterfall, the birds enjoy and will bathe in it regularly. "

"I built a shallow concrete basin with sufficient depth at one end to
accomodate a pump. The shallow "bath end" gets lots of use. The only
time I've wished it was larger is during those occasional visits by
numbers of winter robins.

Plant scaping includes rhododendron, leucothoe, fern. Moss has
accumulated on the concrete around the portion where water splatters
from the modest waterfall."

"...one suggestion is to build shallow areas of rocks or
cobbles so that if a bird falls in, it can get out and so that there are
shallow areas to bathe in - have fun with it!"