From: tominbrevard@webtv.net [mailto:tominbrevard@webtv.net]
Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 11:15 PM
To: carolinabirds@duke.edu
Subject: Crested Mynah

C'Birders,
This report may be technically ineligible for consideration on this
listserv,but some weeks ago, Josh Rose reported that he had seen an item
on the MA listserv indicating that the last survivor of the Crested
Mynah population in Vancouver, BC had disappeared, apparently evincing
the fact that this exotic species had not been able to maintain a viable
population in the area.

Josh went on to mention that the ABA had decreed, that in the absence of
an ongoing population, those birders who had previously recorded the
species on their life lists would be required to delete this sighting.

As someone who had traveled to Vancouver, and saw probably the last of
the species on Sept. 9, 2001 (two days before WTC),I seriously
questioned the logic of the ABA's ex-post facto decision to invalidate
sightings of the species before its demise. Accordingly, I contacted the
ABA to contest their interpretation. After a number of false starts, I
finally received a message from Executive Director, Paul Green, stating
that the matter has been referred to the ABA Checklist Committee for
clarification. I have been promised a report of its decision.

 I thought that this is a matter which would be of interest to all
C'Birders. I will apprise you of the outcome.

Tom Joyce
Brevard, NC