Re: Good places to stop going down and coming back from Cumberland Isl Ga

Hi Carolinabirders,

I posted recently to the list that the Falconiformes, the order including
hawks, falcons, and related birds, had been subsumed by recent research
into the Charadriiformes, the order including shorebirds and seabirds.
Dr. Chris Hill wrote me to correct that. Actually, both Falconiformes
*and* Charadriiformes - as well as all the other orders I mentioned,
tubenoses and loons and many others - are all now part of the
Ciconiiformes, the order headlines by the storks!

> > Janet and I are driving down to Little Cumberland Island on Sunday,  and
> > staying with friends for several days.
> >
> > I would appreciate suggestions of good places to stop on the way down and
> > back.
> >
> > Tom Krakauer

I recently discovered the web site for the South Carolina Heritage
Preserve system:
http://www.dnr.state.sc.us/wild/heritage/preserve.html
The map on this site shows lots of preserves along the coast, possibly
within easy side trip distance of I-95. Most of them were created to
protect populations of rare plants, reptiles, etc. rather than birds, but
many of them have interesting birds too.

Good birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose
Duke University