Jackson Park Realities

Birders:
As Ron Selvey, a regular birder at Jackson Park has said the Spring
migration is always slower than the wonderful days in August and
September when you might get as many as 20 warblers in one day!  But the
park usually gives you something that makes the trip worth it (at least
it is if you live within an hour's drive of the park in Hendersonville,
NC (WNC).

I have been getting daily lists here from about 14 to a high of 24, but
Ron, who has such good hearing usually gets higher counts.
Yellow-rumped Warblers have been coming through in pretty good size
groups for the last week or so.  Common Yellowthroats can be heard near
the softball fields in the creek at the east side of the park near the
Grove St. entrance.  This last week we finally are getting at least one
or two a day of Black-and-White Warblers, Prairie Warblers, and I got a
Palm Warbler about 12:30 PM!!  The most spectacular warbler sighting was
last Saturday at the end of the bird walk at the Administrative Building
Parking lot, a Prothonotary Warbler (also a Black-throated Green Warbler
nearby).

Ron predicts that sightings should improve next week and into the first
week in May.  Its raining this afternoon and this evening and hopes that
bad weather may force a few warblers and other migrants to settle down
for the day for a bite to eat before they head north.

Regards,
John Lindfors
Hendersonville, NC
20 miles south of Asheville, NC