(Fwd) Swainson's Hawk in Chapel Hill

From:           	Dougshadwick@aol.com
Date sent:      	Wed, 23 Apr 2003 17:50:45 EDT
Subject:        	Swainson's Hawk in Chapel Hill

   Driving home tonight at about 5:30 PM,  I noticed a bird headed north on
Airport Road  or rte 86 (I was headed south toward Chapel HIll from I40).
The bird was skimming along the the side of the road at a height of about 10
feet or so near the North Chapel HIll Baptist Church - just south of the
Eubanks Road intersection.  What caught my eye first was the bird looked very
slender and long winged.  As the bird banked upwards,  the dark well defined
hood extended well down to the top of the breast.   The bird was also very
white (or creamy white) on the underside of the body with white under-wing
coverts and pale gray flight feathers.
       I was in heavy traffic with no place to stop or turn around.  So I got
about a 15 sec look at the bird.  I think this is approximately the area
(Eubanks Road) where a  Swainson's Hawk overwintered 10 years or more ago.
       If someone has time they might try to relocate and confirm the bird as
a light morph adult plumage Swainson's.

Doug Shadwick

Charles W. "Will" Cook                  w 919-660-7423
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook            cwcook@duke.edu
Box 90340, Biology Dept., Duke Univ., Durham, NC 27708