Francis Beidler Forest birds 4/23/03

The cold front pushed in quite a variety of birds to Beidler Forest (near
Harleyville, SC)
A couple from Maine had come each day for three days to try to locate a
Swainson's Warbler, so I offered to come early and go out with them.  We
never found the Swainson's, which had been spotted on Sunday, but we found a
first for Beidlerr Forest--a Blue-Winged Warbler! Other highlights were:
Scarlet Tanager--rare for Beidler
Summer Tanager
Hooded Warbler--a beautiful singing male
Blue Grosbeak--unusual for Beidler
Black-throated Blue Warbler
Worm-Eating Warbler
Yellow-billed Cuckoo--first of season
Ruby-throated Hummingbird--first of season and very uncommon for Beidler
Black and White Warbler
Prothonotary Warbler (beaucoups!)
Kentucky Warbler
Least Flycatcher
Acadian Flycatcher

The swamp is beautiful and the birdsong is glorious!

Ann Shahid
Charleston, SC

P.S. It was great to meet Dennis Burnette and his bird club from NC. Meeting
in cyberspace just isn't the same as in person.