Birding in the mountains-Max Patch

Bob Olthoff and I drove up Fines Creek Rd to Max Patch and then down the road
(can't remember the name) that goes towards Cataloochee, then when into
Cataloochee/Big Creek as far as the campground.  It was one of those "I
believe I've died and gone to heaven" birding in the mountains days.  Weather
was perfect, the birds were singing, and the wildflowers were in bloom.  We
had 15 species of warbler and lots of most of them.  Warblers included
Golden-winged (6), N. Parula, Yellow, Chestnut-sided, BT Blue, BT Green,
Blackburnian, Yellow-throated, Black and White, A. Redstart, Ovenbird, La
Waterthrush, Common Yellowthroat, Hooded, and Canada.  Also had 13 Least
Flycatchers.

Among the scads of wildflowers there was Toothwort, Stonecrop, Indian
Paintbrush, Large-flowered Trillium, Yellow Trillium, Wild Geranium, Canada
Violet, Foamflower, Dutchmans Breeches, Bellwort, Larkspur, and lots of others
as well as Dogwoods, Serviceberry, and Silverbells in bloom.

Altogether a glorious day.
Marilyn

Marilyn Westphal
Environmental Quality Institute