Re: Spotting Scopes

Jim,

The tripod, lightweight yet sturdy:
Gitzo G1128 Mk2 Mountaineer Sport Carbon Fiber (Compact) Tripod Legs (Rapid Column)

The ballhead, sweet silky movement adjustable with your pinky finger:
Arca-Swiss Monoball B1 Ballhead with Independent Panning Lock & 3/8"-16 Screw

Quick release mount, rock solid and quick:
Kirk Enterprises mount designed for B1 ballhead and quick release designed for scope.

I have the Arca-Swiss ballhead and use Kirk mounts and am very happy. I also have a huge Gitzo tripod and only use it for telephoto bird photography, other wise I use my standard Bodgen 3221 tripod.

Just spent $1000 on the tripod, now you have $3000 for a good scope, personally I would want to hand test to my needs. Personally I doubt you can tell any difference on scope after $1200 or so. So you'll have $1800 left that you can take me to Costa Rica with you for a week or two.

Randy Emmitt
Rougemont, NC