Warbler Road

Hey,

Eric Dean, Clyde Sorenson, and I made a trip to Warbler Road outside of Lynchburg, VA today, and although they may wish to expand on the days events, I thought I would speak to some of the highlights.

The weather was cooperative; mostly cloudy, with a few showers.  We thought that the lack of sunshine kept the birds active, and singing for most of the day.

Highlights included:

20 Warbler species:

Blackburnian  (Great looks!)
Cerulean  (at least 25 birds; and one look from no more than eight feet away!)
Kentucky (four birds)
Ovenbird
Worm-eating
Redstart  (seemed like hundreds!)
Canada
BT Blue
BT Green
L. Waterthrush
Prothonotary
B/W Warbler
Yellow
Chestnut-sided
YR Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
Hooded
Chat
N. Parula
Yellow-throated

Also seen:

Black-billed Cuckoo
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
Warbling Vireo  (on nest)
Turkey
Scarlet Tanager
Raven
Veery
Wood Thrush
Wood Duck
Yellow-throated Vireo
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Baltimore/Orchard Orioles
Indigo Bunting
Blue Grosbeak

and others!

We totalled almost 90 species, and we all wish to make this an annual event.

Brian K. Pendergraft
Falls Lake (N. Raleigh)
bkpendergraft@aol.com