Solitary sandpiper

While birding Verona Loop (Onslow County) I stumbled across a Solitary
sandpiper.  It was a relatively small wading bird with long legs, brown
back and upperwings with small white spots, a bold white eye ring, and a
white belly.  The tail had black bars on the white outer tail feathers.
It was alone on a shallow pond up against the woods.  Text book example
of bird and habitat.  The bird flew across the pond from me only about
30 feet and waded for just few minuets before departing the area.

Andy Webb
Jacksonville, NC
jwebb3@ec.rr.com

I hope you love birds too.   It is economical.  It saves going to
heaven.
-   Emily Dickinson