38th Warbler in the Elizabethan Gardens!

Hi folks,
We finally had a few migrants Tuesday in the
Elizabethan Gardens, Manteo, NC. It has really been a
slow spring so far in this area. In addition to a
Scarlet Tanager, Baltimore Oriole, Veery and a
Blackpoll I found a waterthrush bobbing on the "great
lawn". With this late date I wrote it off as a
Northern. Later I heard it chip and it didn't sound
quite right so I decided to take a closer look.
Playing hide-and-seek among the oaks, I noted a very
long, white supercilium, flaring out in the rear, a
white unspotted throat (the bird actually held its
head straight up for about 3 seconds!), nice white
underparts with a little buff on the rear flanks,
largish bill, bright pink legs - a Louisiana! I don't
know when La.Waterthrushes arrive on the breeding
grounds way up north but I guess that's where this one
is headed. Anyway, not that it matters but you know
how listers are; this was my 38th species of
wood-warbler in the Elizabethan Gardens! Wonder what
will be number 39?

Where ARE all the songbirds this spring?

Jeff Lewis
Manteo, NC